High School – Grade Level 10-12
a-g (if charter certified)
Pre-requisite: completion of Algebra 1
Class duration – 2 semesters
This class will include such topics as:
- Structure of the atom
- Elements of the periodic table
- Chemical bonding
- Molecular structure and reactivity
- Mole concepts and Stoichiometry
- Gases, solutions, and acids & bases
- Reaction rates and chemical equilibrium
- Redox reactions and electrochemistry
- Introduction to biochemistry and organic chemistry
There will be a significant emphasis on laboratory practice, with weekly labs and/or demonstrations, along with computation for quantitative analysis. In addition, practice questions for the SAT II chemistry subject test will be included and discussed on a regular basis.
This course meets weekly for 2.5 hours . Weekly homework assignments from the textbook, lab notebooks and handouts will be completed by the students at home each week. Tests will be sent home with the student to be administered by their parent and returned to class the following week.
A textbook is required. Go to Chemistry textbooks for ordering info.